Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
@Deibitto, No, I have no problem with lapping slopes either.

You just don't really see any from the road through Brusson other than frequently bare x-country tracks wink

Oh I see, it's a few kms east? That looks like a nice stash on a cold, midweek powder day. There's an excellent pizzeria above Brusson too ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To much snow today, "real time" says whole area shut all day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly looks shut for the day. Boys keen to try to get to Courmayer which website says is open but not keen as google maps says 2hrs and conditions look challenging for hire car with summer tyres and even snow chains (£46 for 5 days so can’t grumble). Any tips on what to do - based in Stafal but could drive to Trinite?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Alagna open?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doccam wrote:
Sadly looks shut for the day....
...Any tips on what to do - based in Stafal but could drive to Trinite?

Get down to Gressoney and find a bar with snowHeads on the GnarliBuG on an all day session (just guessing Laughing )

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 3-03-24 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@adithorp yep already on that plan and on bus as I type!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has there been a big road-blocking slide onto Gressoney access?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/450413288428785/permalink/3031306817006073/

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, I see that's already reported on the other thread ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be worth the wait snowHead snowHead snowHead
https://www.alagna.it/webcam-alagna-valsesia/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Has there been a big road-blocking slide onto Gressoney access?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/450413288428785/permalink/3031306817006073/

That will take days or weeks to clear.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is Champoluc the best access? And anyone with experience of what is likely to open on an avi 4 day (which I guess it will be tomorrow?). Assume link to Alagna would be closed?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, quickest road access for you, yes. Arguably Gressoney* better for skiing being central.

If it was France I’d be saying today was avvy 5 (well, everything’s closed) and Gressoney now stranded *so no use.

We’re heading to Courmayeur.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, quickest road access for you, yes. Arguably Gressoney* better for skiing being central.

If it was France I’d be saying today was avvy 5 (well, everything’s closed) and Gressoney now stranded *so no use.

We’re heading to Courmayeur.

Courmayeur is another option although I don’t think it got much snow? Do you know?

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surely they'll clear that slide in a couple of hours?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, not as much but it looks tastier than Chamonix Happy

Guessing maybe 20-30 cms?
latest report
@under a new name, any idea if Champoluc opens anything half decent on an avi 4 day?
snow conditions
It looks like the Crest gondola is planned but nothing else Puzzled
https://monterosaski.eu/en/in-tempo-reale/skirama/monterosa-ski-3-valli
snow conditions
motyl wrote:
It looks like the Crest gondola is planned but nothing else Puzzled
https://monterosaski.eu/en/in-tempo-reale/skirama/monterosa-ski-3-valli

Thanks!
latest report
@BobinCH, doesn't look like anything worth it, if only the first bubble up from Crest ...
latest report
Can’t decipher website fully but seems Gressony valley lifts shut for day. Also google maps showing that tunnel still blocked. Anyone know any different?
latest report
Gressoney la Trinity (spelling?) is indeed closed. Not so great for those of us on the GnarliBuG.
snow report
tomj wrote:
Gressoney la Trinity (spelling?) is indeed closed. Not so great for those of us on the GnarliBuG.

Oh but how good will it be when it does open snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Damn but thought so. Anyone know about the tunnel? Hotel owner still clearing snow so can’t ask him- but last night he said he didn’t know what was going to be happening which is fair enough.
ski holidays
@BobinCh true but leaving (maybe!) tomorrow morning Eh oh!
ski holidays
Meant tobe crying emoji!
latest report
Ok hotel owner says still not opened.
ski holidays
Rent/borrow/steal some touring gear and find a nice safe slope to tour up!
snow report
"Following the intense snowfall that affected the entire area, on Monday 4 March the Monterosa Ski group's facilities will be partially open to allow for reclamation and safety operations.
The Monterosa Ski area will be partially accessible exclusively from the Ayas Valley (Champoluc).
Partial openings also for the satellite ski areas of Antagnod and Brusson, while Champorcher, Gressoney-Saint-Jean and Alpe di Mera will remain closed for the whole day."

Only the home black run and beginner area open at Champoluc at the moment. Focus will be on making safe any potential avalanche risks before bashing any pistes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:
Swamped in snow in Courmayeur today, officially 40cm fresh in past 24 hrs. Lashing down now in Aosta and has been for some time today. So looking good for Monterosa also.

Any rain down low?

Looking at skiing 03-10 March in the valley.

A bit late replying! But no in Courmayeur snow down to village but softer and wetter snow the closer to town you got. But were great conditions (cold dry snow) anywhere above the run back to the gondola bottom station.
latest report
Got flights, car and cheap hotel in Brusson booked for a long weekend end of this month. Fingers crossed more big dumps! Let me know if anyone will be out at the same time and want to go skiing.
snow report
Does anyone know a good website for the snow forecast 7 days+ out?
ski holidays
@Dreadyfred, meteoblue.

But 7+ days out is all fantasy anyway.
snow conditions
So its due to snow heavily this weekend, models I have seen suggesting 60 - 90cm, easing up Sunday afternoon

Do I drive to Alagna Sunday afternoon, which is the lowest of the three and therefore will have least road trouble (assuming the landslide has been cleared), but risk having no lifts open Monday morning

Try and drive to Staffal Sunday afternoon (1800m so into the snow line), as it has more lifts I assume less risk of everything still being closed Monday

Or get late flight to Malpensa instead, stay night in airport and hop in rental car at 7, see what's open and drive there?
snow report
Wepowder.com has by far the best quality forecast
snow report
@Onnem, you reckon? I find meteoblue very good around Chamonix …
snow report
Backed the earlier flight

Will ski Mon and Tues, if anyone wants to share a guide PM me

In the meantime, Monterosa experts any suggestions for:-

- good on slope restaurants,
- good evening restaurants in Gressonney vallety (most likely destination as the road into Alagna is still blocked)
- good wellness in Gressoney valley

Also if I have the option of Alagna, are the lifts out of the resort old school crumbly mountain village charm that might just frustrate me if I just want to get up and ski the other valleys quickly?
latest report
@8611, our current favourite on mountain lunch is Novex, just above Crest.

Everything else is kind of WYSIWYG. I.e. no real surprises.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Onnem, you reckon? I find meteoblue very good around Chamonix …

Depends on the audience.
Wintersporters.nl have their own meteorologists who make a daily synopsis, but in Dutch. For simple Snowfall prediction table per resort, wepowder uses a multi-model forecast that is far more reliable than ie snow-forecast.com

I am meteo and climate amateur, so prefer meteoblue multi-model graphs so I understand model output reliability. But for the average punter, wepowder had the best ratio between reliability and understandability
latest report
@8611,
Quote:

Also if I have the option of Alagna, are the lifts out of the resort old school crumbly mountain village charm that might just frustrate me if I just want to get up and ski the other valleys quickly?

Unless it is changed since I went there in about 2015, there is just the one lift, a sizeable cable car out of the village
ski holidays
@8611, There's a swift enough gondola out of the village, but you then have a cable car and chairlift before you are skiing.

Gressoney more immediate. Although in fairness, you're 3 lifts out of Champoluc as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy