Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Looking really promising on the webcams! Headed to Monterosa in a week snowHead .

Forecasts suggesting it will stay cool, so fingers crossed any new snow should be here to stay.

Using this Austrian weather service for the Valais region, which seemed pretty accurate for today's snow fall: http://www.metgis.com/en/domains/valais-alps/fresh-snow-3hrs/gfs/ Any other good recs for local forecasts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A decent dusting of snow overnight and more expected this evening / overnight and snow showers on and off right thru the weekend. No mega snow dumps but should be enough to freshen things up and then after 3or4 clear days further light snow the following week. *subject the the unreliability of forecast that far out!

8 more sleeps til I get there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
samr96 wrote:
Any other good recs for local forecasts?

The guides I skied with a year ago both used the MeteoSwiss app, as did several of the locals.

Looking forward to hearing about conditions on the ground: I’m thinking about going back later in the month, but only if there’s a decent base off-piste.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best forecast sites, are the ones from the region itself, obviously Cool
https://cf.regione.vda.it/previsioni.php?id=3
https://www.lovevda.it/en/before-your-trip/weather-report
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And, also obviously, those from the Italian ski forum
https://www-skiforum-it.translate.goog/board/index.php?threads/15618/page-128&_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=nl&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5w9vEtjdnfmWSQMW9

https://ski-champoluc.com/webcam/

Looking promising
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@t44tomo, certainly looking better! Although so far not so much ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Onnem @JayRo Thanks for the weather resources!

Webcams looking lovely this morning, definite signs of more fresh snow overnight. Won't be enough for serious off-piste, but that doesn't bother me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@t44tomo, certainly looking better! Although so far not so much ...

I'm not a greedy man, and there is more forecast. It looks like (from Monterosaski.eu) they are contemplating opening the home run black into Champoluc. Currently has a yellow dot on the "in real time" map.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its started belting down again this morning, and forecast to continue for 5 days and then clear up but stay cold for my arrival on the 11th snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
samr96 wrote:
Looking really promising on the webcams! Headed to Monterosa in a week snowHead .

Forecasts suggesting it will stay cool, so fingers crossed any new snow should be here to stay.

Using this Austrian weather service for the Valais region, which seemed pretty accurate for today's snow fall: http://www.metgis.com/en/domains/valais-alps/fresh-snow-3hrs/gfs/ Any other good recs for local forecasts?

Whats the view from "on the ground" assuming you're out there now?

Webcams look like more light snow from late evening yesterday and still snowing this morning
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cam watch update: another day full of light to moderate snow today and poor visibility in places, especially higher up. Looks like the snow will peeter out this evening into a cloudy day tmr before the sun breaks through for my arrival on Thursday, with clear, light breeze thru to end of weekend. looks like it will work out slightly warmer than it was forecasting a week ago, so may trickle a degree or 2 over freezing at valley level, but that should mean its still below 0*C where it matters.

Sounds ideal, I assume our hire car is going to break down en route from Malpensa because its doesn't normally work out this well. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brief ground report to corroborate your cam report @t44tomo : indeed steady snowfall all the way into the valley throughout today, yesterday and overnight. Mostly light to moderate but quite heavy on occasions - a couple of lift rides left me covered in the good stuff. Visibility poor at times, particularly today, but at a bonus of soft, fresh snow and empty runs! I usually keep to the pistes but would say this has been enough snow for some off piste exploration once the fog clears Very Happy .

Safe journey @t44tomo - I think for your first few days you will have timed it just right! Though I love a snowy ski day too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
samr96 wrote:
Brief ground report to corroborate your cam report @t44tomo : indeed steady snowfall all the way into the valley throughout today, yesterday and overnight. Mostly light to moderate but quite heavy on occasions - a couple of lift rides left me covered in the good stuff. Visibility poor at times, particularly today, but at a bonus of soft, fresh snow and empty runs! I usually keep to the pistes but would say this has been enough snow for some off piste exploration once the fog clears Very Happy .

Safe journey @t44tomo - I think for your first few days you will have timed it just right! Though I love a snowy ski day too.

Awesome and thanks..it's just a long weekend Thurs - Sun for me and my son, both looking forward to it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's been a while since the conditions were so good at this time of the year, I get there Sunday and can't wait...4 old fellas looking to ski every inch of the place..
latest report
One thing worth adding here, its worth buying your ski pass online in advance. I've saved 16% by doing it vs if I bought online today and no doubt it would cost me a couple of euros more still at the tills tmr.

its been snowing a small amount again this morning but the fog of yesterday has lifted
ski holidays
@t44tomo, pre xmas we paid €48.50 online the night before but would only have paid €37.50 online the next morning rolling eyes wink
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@t44tomo, pre xmas we paid €48.50 online the night before but would only have paid €37.50 online the next morning rolling eyes wink

Yes caveat for sudden unexpected poor weather (it was very windy wasn't it) it can go both ways! Markets can move up as well as down.....

I bought mine a month in advance (roughly) @ €157 and now they are €188 online.
latest report
Had an hour's delay at Heathrow, queue for the de-icer machine, which was a slight pain, but Fiat Panda power got us upto Champoluc in time for a couple of hours or so of lovely sunny skiing this afternoon. Had beer and pizza and looking forward to full day out tomorrow.
snow report
t44tomo wrote:
Looking at where it's appeared on the piste map, It goes from bottom of the Moos piste and then takes you up / over the road to the last bit of the black -red down from Sant Anna.

I can tell you more on 12th Jan

This is exactly what it does, but it wasn't operating yesterday, so the Staffal shuffle is still in operation!
latest report
@t44tomo, how far is the shuffle?
ski holidays
It's not far at all, 250m ish - less that you walk from ticket office to first lift at some places.

There is similar walk if you ski down to Alagna village from piste bottom to gondola back up.
We did that yesterday just for sake of skiing from one end to the other, but only went half way down today did the Mullero piste there and came back up.

Significantly busier today, suspect Saturday brings day skiers up from Milan & Torino. Mind you Friday was not busy at all. Local ski schools and race clubs were out in force too.

The bit above Gressoney, Seehorn and Punta Jolanda chairs were less busy.

Edit: to add whilst on subject of dodgy weekend crowds.....

On Sunday we didnt go beyond Sant Anna, to avoid what seemed the busier lifts / gondolas out of Staffal & Alagna. i.e.We went over from Champoluc to, and did some runs off either side of, Betta Forca and then back to Frachey and Champoluc. It was interesting that Champoluc was the quietest place for slopes and absence of any lift queues so did loops either Crest / Ostafa and right down to the bottom and /or up over the Goat / Sarezza and up the two man to Belvedere and back down into Crest. The Mandria chair was a minor pinch point (5 mins) and the side of the 2 man chair taking you from bottom of Goat back to Frachey was also quite busy at times, but no wait to get the other way over to Champoluc.

Trip report:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167646&highlight=

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-01-24 16:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Any updates from today?
snow conditions
Roguevfr wrote:
Any updates from today?

https://webcams.windy.com/webcams/stream/1667951641

https://monterosaski.eu/in-tempo-reale/skirama/monterosa-ski-3-valli

I'm back in the office now. Looks a bit windy today
snow report
First post as snowhead Eh oh! and first time in the monterosa region. First day riding today - Windy with most lifts closed, the rest of the week looks promising with some snow forecast tues eve and Wednesday according to meteoblue.com, which I think the locals use. The one run we were lapping was running fine and fast to get those legs back.

On a side note does anyone recommend or know of a guide for some off piste guiding?
ski holidays
First post as snowhead Eh oh! and first time in the monterosa region. First day riding today - Windy with most lifts closed, the rest of the week looks promising with some snow forecast tues eve and Wednesday according to meteoblue.com, which I think the locals use. The one run we were lapping was running fine and fast to get those legs back.

On a side note does anyone recommend or know of a guide for some off piste guiding?
snow conditions
Rachelle wrote:

Email info.guidealagna@gmail.com , or PM me if you'd like me to send you a phone no.
ski holidays
Great thanks Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you like some on piste challenges, I would recommend trying to master traversing the steep Sarezza pitch without falling victim to the ice sheet, and skiing Olen to the Alagna middle station without a rest. Those two runs I found particularly beautiful, but I generally thought the pistes were enjoyable and terrains and surroundings more varied than elsewhere. Favourite lunch stop was Rifugio Gabiet!
ski holidays
I love the pistes of Monetrosa, they are long, interesting and the scenery is great. But to describe them as challenging is not really accurate. Sarezza-Conternery has a short and somewhat narrow section, which is why it has been re-classified as black, so not suitable for lower level intermediates but its not particularly challenging. Olen to the Alagna middle station is lovely, but I have no idea at all why it is a black run as it is certainly not challenging in any way. The same could be said of the home run to Champoluc (Del Bosco), its a great piste when in good condition but not really deserving of its classification in my opinion. The Jolanda 1 black in Gressoney is genuinely steep, and can be tricky if icy, but it is quite wide so even that is not super challenging.
ski holidays
As an aside - has anyone seen the "new" chairlift that has appeared on the piste map from bottom of Moos linking across to the Sant Anna side of the valley actually operating? My wife is not a big fan of the Satafal shuffle as she has a knee brace that is make walking (especially on uneven terrain) uncomfortable. I cant find anything about it on the Monterosa website.

I also have had a bit of an emergency where the apartment we booked in Champoluc had to cancel on us at the last minute. Not really anyone's fault just one of those things. Found somewhere else but its rubbish tbh, and has no parking which is a pain. Anyone have any secret contact that could help with a 3 bedroom place, preferably with 2 toilets and dedicated parking? Long shot I know. Maybe @under a new name, you know someone? We are there Thurs 08 Feb to Sat 17 Feb, could stay down the valley in a hotel for the Thurs 8th to Sat 10th if thats a problem.
snow report
@zikomo, sorry, can't help. How annoying!
snow conditions
@under a new name, Yup. Very disappointing. It would actually be better if I could be angry about it, but in fact completely understand why the owners had to cancel on us. Might just have to look into buying a place!

Thanks for your sympathy though.
snow report
@zikomo, No worries. Mrs U's family's apartment is mostly booked up a year in advance otherwise it would have worked well for you. Have you looked at the Hotel Bellevue? They have apartments in an annexe? But it's a busy week.
ski holidays
@zikomo,

they posted on facebook in mid dec "we have a new chairlift, should be open at Christmas"...and then no updates since. I have a similar situation and while the walk isnt really an issue, black+lift is infinitely more sellable than black+walk to the SO.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Thanks again, will have a look at that. yes it is a busy week. Which is why we booked the same place we have used the last few years at the end of last February! To be honest it is mostly that I don't like slumming it, and the only thing I have found would involve doing so! Also quite like to drive to Frachey of a morning so parking is quite important...
ski holidays
@zikomo, I have a vague recollection of seeing an extra chair lift run out of Staffal on Saturday morning... could be they reserve it for busy days, or they are trialling it? I only did Moos once, when switching from Gressoney to Champoluc during the day. I didn't see this lift run then, but it was snowy, so I got across to the Staffal lifts on my skis with a few skates.
snow report
hobbiteater wrote:
@zikomo,

they posted on facebook in mid dec "we have a new chairlift, should be open at Christmas"...and then no updates since. I have a similar situation and while the walk isnt really an issue, black+lift is infinitely more sellable than black+walk to the SO.

@zikomo

As I posted above it was not operating all last weekend. Its all installed fully (it looks like a refurbed lift they have sourced from somewhere else) but it was all roped off with orange piste side tape and doesn't look like it had been in use at all looking at the exit point below Sant Anna, as there was no distinct track joining it into the piste.
snow conditions
@samr96, thanks for the recommendation, did the run to Alagna, lovely views, rides fast and quite cruisey. Requires more snow for off piste as looks hard, icy and exposed, probably didn’t help with yesterdays wind too.

Any snowboarders tried the freeride areas?A helpful guide got in touch and said Monterosa isn’t great for snowboarders due to lots of traversing which involves walking unless on splits and skins…unless we aim towards the popular lines…
snow report
@zikomo, the #25 “New” Moos 2 person chairlift does exist, they span it for an hour yesterday. It was closed today, not sure why. I thought it was an old chairlift tbh, but realised it says new on the piste map. Would be good because we could ride down to our hotel from that chair from the Moos home run.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy