Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm just not wearing it!!

Poster: A snowHead
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
Fastest I've managed on mine is 75.1mph, and that was down a steep black.

Spikes, you're in resort (I think). How fast do you think you'll go straightlining the bottom of that black into Le Lac from about two turns below the path?

I think that's the fastest I think I've been on skis.

I'd guess about "Kin 'ell" from memory.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc, I think that piste (Trolles) is the one Spikyhedgehog is talking about. I remember him mentioning it in another thread...

MrJo was straighlining it as well - I guess it's that long run-out that makes it so tempting... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, yes Trolles can be a major buttock clenching moment if you take it from high enough. Have got past Aeroski and on to the noticeboard thing on one occasion. Cool

Another opportunity for exercising the sphincters is on the red piste down into Orelle. Skullie
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo225 wrote:
I guess it's that long run-out that makes it so tempting... snowHead

Yep, till you slow down a bit and think it's safe to stand up again. That makes you concentrate a bit too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick L wrote:
Another opportunity for exercising the sphincters is on the red piste down into Orelle. Skullie

Indeed it is, but straightlining it saves poling along the flat bit afterwards Very Happy

I've been clocked at 88.88kph through Wengen's speedtrap recently on my usual 165 slaloms, the day I tried a pair of Karmas I was going a lot faster (or so it felt) 100kph according to my GPS.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick L wrote:
Mosha Marc, yes Trolles can be a major buttock clenching moment if you take it from high enough. Have got past Aeroski and on to the noticeboard thing on one occasion. Cool

I always bottle it and put a safety turn in on Trolles, every time. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, is that starting from above or below the burmps? Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyph, Mark Hunter, I have 183 twintips. And I measured that on my little GPS, although I can't verify how accurate it is! It was on Trolles yeah, fastest piste I've ever skied as it's pretty much designed for a massive straightline.

I've had a few runs getting close to that kind of speed. Fastest I've managed on a steepish red is about 65mph.

I do ski quickly.

One morning I managed to get to the Palafour from Trolles without pushing..

Straightlining from the very top pretty much.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm so fast flames shoot from my ar5e. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axsman wrote:
No Axsettes were injured in the making of this movie, well apart from this one
Laughing That, people, is why being in the back seat is not a good way to ski, especially if there's a drop somewhere nearby...

According to the Axsman's GPS I clocked 95kph down the speed run in Wengen. In kph that is entirely believable. Anything over 70mph is highly unlikely except in controlled conditions with the right skis. 98mph is laughable. I'm glad I wasn't there when he claimed it, I'd probably have sprayed pea soup all over him...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, Sure that speed wasn't in mph? I thought that the current world record was 157 something? I was soooo p'd off the other week to find that the flying k hadn't been groomed and that they weren't doing the tourist runs down (plenty hit 150kph on those).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm wondering if this guy has been smoking way to much of the wacky weed saying he skied that fast on a 158cm twintip. No way Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
P1sh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm so fast flames shoot from my ar5e.

Probably more to do with to much toffe vodka and beer than speed Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
admin, Sure that speed wasn't in mph? I thought that the current world record was 157 something? I was soooo p'd off the other week to find that the flying k hadn't been groomed and that they weren't doing the tourist runs down (plenty hit 150kph on those).
Yes I'm sure: some speed ski runs are faster than others. That's why the racers get so excited about doing the flying K in Les Arcs in April. It's one of the runs which actually has the potential to offer up a world record top speed. And yes, the WR is more in the region of 250kph.
Nevertheless, as 'slow' as the Sun Valley run is in speed skiing terms, compared to punter-speeds they're really going some.
You can see it in that vid - and hear it as the skier goes past.
There's also the little matter of whether you're doing 150kph on 2m20 sillyspeed skis (or even 2m60 like we saw in Les Arcs) or on 1m58 twin tips.
To one I say, "wow!" to the other I say "durr!"
ski holidays
admin, and I saw the current world record holder skiing slushy bumps on his 228s last spring...
latest report
Ordhan wrote:
Quote:

I'm so fast flames shoot from my ar5e.

Probably more to do with to much toffe vodka and beer than speed Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Ahhhhh, that explains it Laughing and heres me thinking it was a gift. Laughing Embarassed
snow report
I have used my Garmin Vista GPS for an afternoon skiing and downloaded the file to my computer and found that I had several "spikes" over 90 Mph recorded, which was total BS, because recently in Davos I recorded 102Kph on their speed trap! which convinced me that DH racers have screws loose Shocked

Mark Hunter, Can you please ask him what wax he was using wink
latest report
admin, You be roight Embarassed

Remember my filming... [img]https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/thumbs/Flying_K_run.MPG[/img]
snow report
Dypcdiver wrote:
I have used my Garmin Vista GPS for an afternoon skiing and downloaded the file to my computer and found that I had several "spikes" over 90 Mph recorded, which was total BS, because recently in Davos I recorded 102Kph on their speed trap! which convinced me that DH racers have screws loose Shocked

Mark Hunter, Can you please ask him what wax he was using wink

The lyrical kind I imagine....
snow conditions
For those interested, there is a new thread here from a guy who seems to know his stuff about GPS, and also shows it mapped on Google Earth with a tool for turning your own GPS data into a Google Earth overlay... clever stuff.
latest report
Nick L wrote:

I always ground to a halt just by the Loop bar snowHead
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Nick L wrote:

I always ground to a halt just by the Loop bar snowHead

Only ever managed to get to the top of the lip by the aeroski - but by ... it does seem fast!
latest report
is all this speeding as fast as you can down a piste open to the general public a responsible and safe way to act ?
snow report
rayscoops, it depends on the circumstances.
ski holidays
laundryman, where there is a speed gate thingy I think it is ok, but with the personal GPS now quite cheap to buy every wanna-be speed merchant seems to want to clock themselves at XX kph on such-a-such run. Seems irresponsible to me
snow report
rayscoops, not if it's a straight, wide piste, with an uninterrupted view up and down hill, and no-one else there. In other circumstances, I agree with you.
latest report
rayscoops, Trolles is a a very safe piste. The is a learner slope next to iyt but the 2 are seperated by a wall of snow and a fance. There is no other way onto the piste. The piste is steep at the top and gradually flattens to slight uphill slope. It is also dead straight. WHen I was there I did see a couple of folks tuck from the path....impressive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, i must admit i rarely board on those types of pistes, but not from a want of trying as i can never find them wink

but is there likely to be a 'lets see how fast we can clock our selves today' culture hitting wink the slopes in a big way in the next few years ? if snowheads who are generally at the 'forefront of all things skiing' are out and about trying to ski at break neck speads 'for record purposes', what will it be like when guys and girls on their one trip a year turn up with their GPS xmas present ?? quite a worry really.

Speed police I think may well follow?, or designated pistes for speeding ? or speed limits ?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I was at cham last week and there were responsible skiers on an empty red skiing fast, and singular, and therefore not a hazard to anyone else, which sounds similar to the run people have referred to. The problem is that quite a few skiers, and we have all seen them, end up on the easy blues to ski as fast as they can because they are not good enough for the reds, and having a GPS to clock the speed sort of encourages this, maybe?

edit
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
what will it be like when guys and girls on their one trip a year turn up with their GPS xmas present ?? quite a worry really.

Hey, don't bring "girls" into it! We don't do willy waving rolling eyes .
latest report
maggi, just trying not to be sexist because there are quite a lot of 'speed head' female skiers out there, maybe ???
snow report
rayscoops, Trolles is almost set up to be a tucking piste as the run out at the end makes it a must to do it at high speed- or you're walking up the last bit ... that having been said most people do some walking at the end, to take it from the path must take serious b**ls
snow conditions
rayscoops, if we're talking about Trolles; then straightlining it is possibly the safest way down Shocked Everybody tends to wait for their "go", put in a couple of turns (optional) then tuck away. When I was there in Feb half term it wasn't very busy, but it was v.hard snow and v.smooth.
latest report
stevew, Mosha Marc, not talking about Trolles in particular, just the principal of the advent of personalised GPS that seems to encourage skiers to see how fast they can go, a few people above have mentioned other resorts but I would think Snowheads are quite sensible about things

It is the 'one week a year' gang that have their 'xmas present' gadget and want to see how fast they are skiing or to see if they can beat their mates etc etc, and end up on easier blues to do so becasue they are not good enough to ride a red at speed.

Lifts are getting faster and putting more people on the pistes, skis are getting easier with which to reach a certain standard and speed, body armour/helmets are common place and now we have GPS to see how fast we can go. It just seems a recipe for disaster .......................
snow conditions
rayscoops, to use similar situation... the last time I went 10 pin bowling they had put in speed reading... and i must admit it did encourage me to see how fast i could launch the ball down the alley. I wouldn't do the same with a GPS system and skiing as it's not erally my style, but i'm guess there are people that certainly would.
latest report
ski-finder, do not get me wrong, if I had a GPS I would certainly want to see how fast I could board, and if i could go faster each time, but I would be perhaps a little sensible about it ......... just can not be sure about others who may not be fully aware of the rules of the slopes. It just seems with all this new technology there is the urge to go fast, and the means to measure it is now available to any one Shocked
latest report
rayscoops, I am not sure that 1 week a year skiers would be aware of the use of such GPS systems when skiing.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, they will if they follow this website Wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, 2 weeks then ? wink but this gadgety stuff is fairly mainstream now and folks tend to be quite up to date, but I was really thinking over the next few years as they become more common place as an 'apres ski' thingymajig to talk about. I remember when electronic speedometers came out for (pedal) bikes and we all were trying to see how fast we could go. Maybe sking will have the same attraction to see how fast one can ski
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy